The Entomological Research Group of Girona is a group of persons who share their love for Nature, especially insects.
Professionally, we are dedicated to other jobs (teaching, health, banking,…) but our leisure time is often dedicated to performing entomological studies, specifically wildlife research of several areas of the province of Girona.
The insect groups in which we are currently focused are Macro-heteroceda (moths), Coleoptera (beetles) and Orthoptera (grasshoppers), although we have also studied Rhopalocera (butterflies) and Odonata (dragonflies).
The aim of this research is creating extensive lists of these groups of insects in different locations. Most wildlife research includes only the different groups of vertebrate animals, without taking into account invertebrates, or treating them in a folkloric way.
All the collected data is published in science magazines specialized in entomology. Our latest published studies are:
- VIÑOLAS, MUÑOZ, BENTANACHS & ABÓS. 2014. Nuevos registros de coleópteros interesantesde Cataluña y Almería (Península Ibérica) (Coleoptera). ARQUIVOS ENTOMOLÓXICOS, 10: 25-38
- ABÓS, L., PIBERNAT, J. & PLANA, J. 2012. Observacions d’heteròcers fetes a Gombrèn (Ripollès). Butll. Soc. Cat. Lep., 103: 106-114.
- ABÓS, L., PIBERNAT, J. & PLANA, J. 2012. Observacions d’heteròcers fetes a Ogassa (Ripollès). Butll. Soc. Cat. Lep., 103: 115-124.
- PIBERNAT, J., PLANA, J. & ABÓS, L. 2010. Noves observacions de macroheteròcers fetes a Biert (Gironès) (Lepidòptera: Macroheterocera). Butll. Soc. Cat. Lep., 101: 101-108.
- PIBERNAT, J., PLANA, J. & ABÓS, L. 2010. Observacions de macroheteròcers al Pla de Salt, Gironès (Lepidoptera: Macroheterocera). Butll. Soc. Cat. Lep., 101: 109-114.
- PIBERNAT, J., PLANA, J. & ABÓS, L. 2009. Observacions de macroheteròcers fetes a Biert (Gironès). Butll. Soc. Cat. Lep., 100: 91-95.
We are currently waiting to have two more studies published.
Every one of these studies needs a 4-5 year sampling to create a list representative of the studied group. Furthermore, if the study is performed inside a protected area all data is shared annually with the responsibles of that protected area.
Over the past years, we have focused our research in protected areas of Alt Empordà, specifically in the “Parc Natural dels Aiguamolls de l’Empordà” and the “Espai Natural d’Interès Nacional de l’Albera”.
The sampling methodologies used are diverse:
- Direct sampling
- Pitfall traps
- Window traps
- Light taps.
This research task basically requires a significant amount of time, one of the most valued and scarce goods since all members of our group have family and labor obligations, and in most cases we take this time from our hours of sleep.
It also requires a considerable expenditure due to travels, materials for traps, entomology cases, bibliography, etc.
Words of beneficiaries
This is why we would like to thank the Foundation “Alchimia Solidària” for all the help offered this year, since we have renewed all the material used for nocturnal sampling (generator, batteries, mercury vapour lamps, UV lights,…) among other things.
We will keep you updated throughout the year on our latest entomological discoveries.
Thanks a lot.
Project presentation in the multipurpose Alchimia room, February 11, 2015